CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Schedules: why are they so good for you?

After watching an episode of wife swap (portions of it), I thought about our schedule and wondered if we were too strict or too lenient in our daily schedule. As you probably know, the show matches up two families that are complete opposites in this case there was a family who schedule so much into their day that they spent little to no time together and were bombarded with activities during the summer that would make anyone complain. Yet, on the other hand there was a family that spent all day doing nothing. Such extremes, but definitely a point worth making.

We are a family of schedules. We were so "scheduled" that when Truett arrived it threw us into a 180 whirlwind. He was demanding and whiny, we didn't know what to expect and hated not knowing even more. So, to the precious advice of many a dear friends we bought a book called BABYWISE. Yea, yea, I know I've "mentioned" it many a times, but, let me let you in on a little secret. The very first night I began reading the book (I hadn't completed but a few chapters), I went to bed with an assurance that things would get better and I had a game plan. Once we implemented this simple schedule, we noticed a huge improvement of disposition and noticed that we seemed much more calm.

Fast forward to now, over a year later and my day is full of schedules: breakfast time, awake time, workout time, nap time, lunch time, alone time, play times, nap time, supper time, family time, and finally bed time! This is everyday and is only changed for special occasions (family comes in to visit, church, vacations). I enjoy the flexibility and security of a schedule, and think he does even better than I do.

There is definitely a risk of going overboard but I believe having a schedule sets you up for a balance, full, successful life.

Stay tuned, Easter pictures to follow......

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Have you checked out the ones posted on the Coleman site? I really need to post more there! At some point, though, I have to pull some of my irons out of the fire!