CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, May 2, 2009

3 reasons I want a VBAC...

Many think I'm a little silly to want to try a vbac (vaginal birth after cesarean). It would be nice to go ahead and schedule this little one's birthdate. I would even have the baby a week or two earlier perhaps then if I just waited on him/her.

1. It's the natural way. Natural birth is the best birth for you and for your baby. Despite what you might be told all medication (including epidural) has an affect on your baby. The medications used during birth cross to your baby and change the way your body responds to labor. Pain medications can affect your labor — your blood pressure may drop, your labor may slow down or speed up, you may become nauseous, and you may feel a sense of confusion and lack of control. With Truett I read "Childbirth without fear" and "The Birth Book", they both had lots of great information. With this one I'm reading "The Silent Knife", lots of information, I do take the information that seems to pertain to me and keep an open mind.

2. It's safer than a repeat cesarean. Women who have cesareans suffer from more infertility than women who have vaginal births. This infertility is related directly to the physical effects of the surgery. There is a higher risk of blot clots following a c-section than a vaginal birth. The severity and length of pain after a cesarean is much greater than after a vaginal birth.
The risk of maternal death is higher. 4 times more likely to die after having a c-section than after giving birth naturally.

3. Recovery is faster. Typically days (1-7) with vaginal birth v/s 4-6 weeks with Cesarean.


These are a few of my reasons to want to go naturally this time. Last time I wanted to do it naturally and did not get the opportunity, I'm really looking forward to working with midwives and Lord-willing I will go naturally this time.

More to come on natural childbirth. I hope to let you guys kind of in on my thoughts and plans throughout my pregnancy. Like I said, MY plans, goals, thoughts, they are not set in stone and might not be what God wills for me. I pray God makes me pliable and able to be molded for his will and most importantly his Glory!

No comments: