CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, December 10, 2010

When the going gets tough...

When Truett was a baby I had my ideas of "tough". Getting him to go back to sleep when he woke up early from a nap, eating table food exclusively, or just getting the concept of "no-no". These days there is a whole new realm of "tough". Issues like: obeying immediately, not arguing or "talking back", or just being unkind to his younger brother. Don't get me wrong he is great when it comes to helping me cleanup or checking on his brother. Sometimes he is an angel that can do "no" wrong. BUT... there are days when I'm asking him not to whine more than I should or asking him not to push his brother, or saying "don't ask why, just obey". I feel like a failure on those days, but I know I am a mother, who's not perfect, saved by grace and wanting and striving to bring my children up in the ways of the Lord. This is not my excuse to be lazy in doing those things, it's me being honest with you.

Many months ago my mother-in-law told me of a book she's reading called Boundaries, she went on and on about how great it was. I looked it up and found Boundaries With Kids; after reading the reviews and reading an excerpt I put it on my wish-list. Within a week or two my sweet mother-in-law picked it up and gave me an early Christmas gift! I started reading it yesterday and became greatly intrigued and enlightened.

I have only read the first chapter and started on the second. I probably won't agree with everything they say or teach but these guys seem very wise and biblical (so far). I feel like everything (so far) lines up with God's Word and is very beneficial. I thought I might share a little through my blog on the highlights and lessons that help me the most.

Right now I struggle with doing the right thing v/s the easy thing. Before me is the biggest challenge of my life (parenting) and without God, and his Word, I know this will be an insurmountable task. Wayne is both my biggest cheerleader and worst critic (I need both). God, please give me the strength to do the right thing more than the easy thing. It's not all about Truett, but Jett and this (no named) itty bitty are still going through the "other" tough times.

No comments: